BottleRock Napa 2013
Not a chance we were going to miss the inaugural Napa Valley BottleRock music festival May 9-12. Two Honeys, Meghan & I,
played hooky volunteered to experience a little wine-country hospitality, uh-mazing music, great local eats, and, maybe, quite possibly, a few $9 craft beers.
True story. Sierra Nevada also had their own tent with fun (and free!) little knick-knacks.
The epic event began on a Wednesday night with Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, and ended on Sunday with performances by Cake and Zac Brown Band. Sandwiched in-between was a healthy dose of greatness: The Black Crowes, Alabama Shakes, Kings of Leon, The Avett Brothers, Train, Bad Religion, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Ben Harper, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, The Shins, Jane’s Addiction, The Black Keys, and Blues Traveler. And that’s just a sampling.
The Black Crowes did not disappoint.
We were fortunate enough to score a stay with Meghan’s family in Napa, allowing us to walk and bike in to the venue. The drive from Sac was ugly, and parking was even worse ($50/day. True story. Free bike valet, we heart you!). There was also an easy and affordable shuttle from Sac to the event – $29/day round-trip – which provided me the opportunity to take a slightly-needed catnap on the way home one night.
Two wheels was definitely the way to go.
What we hope to see in 2014 (because yes, we are going again):
- Port-o-Potty Feng Shui. Maybe avoid another U-shaped layout with only one slightly confined way in and out
- More time between bands to make stage switches, would allow us more time in the wine gardens!
- Throw some shade covering up over the middle stage. Great bands were playing but in 102-heat with no shade, there were times we had to disappointedly sit out.
- Lower the price for beer or a glass of wine just a tad?
- Improve bandwidth for cell reception. It was a black hole in there, and within just a few hours your phone was dead unless you kept it off. PS: Thank you Whole Foods for having a FREE charging station!
- Fruition of the rumored performance by none other than The Boss. Fingers crossed!