Posted: January 26, 2024
Founded in 2008, we are a women-led creative studio that intersects design and marketing to build relationships between people and brands. Our craft is fueled best by an intentional process and thoughtful strategy. As experts in the food, beverage, cannabis, and agriculture industries, we build brands, tell stories, and empower passion. Our work ranges from branding and packaging, to strategic marketing campaigns.
The Art Director is our Creative Director’s right hand person that manages and guides Honey’s team of designers on various projects ranging from brand identities, retainer work, websites, content creation, campaigns, packaging, and photography/videography. You have an expert ability to create original, custom concepts with a killer, detailed design aesthetic, which also translate to directing Honey’s team of designers to create their best work. You channel a project’s vision by spearheading the execution of the visual and conceptual approach while providing guidance to the design team, ensuring a unified and successful project outcome.
You oversee various details that are involved to bring a project to life. You will oftentimes work directly with the design team to help push a concept to the finish line, will review the team’s proofs, and provide thoughtful feedback to ensure it aligns with the established creative direction and meets Honey’s creative standards.
You are a creative leader that has the ability to inspire great work, set direction for a variety of projects, and clearly and positively communicate design decisions internally and externally. Managing the design team is a core responsibility of your position. You not only creatively guide their work, but you serve as a mentor and leader to empower their creativity and growth at Honey.
This is an in-office position in Midtown, Sacramento. Honey is currently working a hybrid model, with two days remote-optional. Can we get a high five for more human collaboration?!
- Translate creative vision of a project into conceptual and visual directions for the design team to expand upon and execute
- Oversee and execute (when necessary) projects from initial ideation to the final stages
- Establish original, compelling, conceptual direction and provide direction and feedback to team members with expert attention to detail
- Lead client presentations and support designers’ presentations, with the ability to clearly and successfully communicate ideas and design decisions to clients
- Manage your time and priorities effectively to balance your own tasks while also guiding the team and providing timely feedback
- Mentor, motivate, and inspire design team members to thrive toward their growth path
- Manage design team members and provide updates to Creative Director. Includes: overseeing their work performance, helping them meet their individual goals, facilitating monthly 1:1s, supporting Creative Director with annual reviews, and identifying opportunities for team and individual growth
- Support hiring process for the design team and build training schedule alongside the Creative Director
Schedules + Processes
- Assign project teams and leads based on skills, expertise, and opportunities for growth/development
- Delegate tasks to designers, looping in Creative Director for visibility and scheduling purposes
- Work with Brand Strategists to develop budgets and timelines for project planning purposes for the Strategy and Creative Director’s review
- Work closely with Marketing Leads to ensure project timelines and budget are on track
Client + Partner Relationships
- Manage and lead the development of relationships with current and new creative partners (photography, videography, printers, copywriters, web development, etc.). In collaboration with Creative Director, identify the best fits for clients/projects, budget, and goals.
- Build and maintain relationships with clients. Work as a liaison between clients and Honey to share important information, address needs in confident, positive, and strategic manner, and improve understanding between parties.
- Professionally and positively represent Honey to all clients and vendors.
- Serve as the liaison to the creative community and determine opportunities for Honey to participate in creative events, e.g. Capitol Creative Alliance, Design Week, AAF events, etc.
- Alongside Brand Strategists, support strategizing opportunities for clients to continue working with Honey by identifying additional Honey services or support that would be beneficial for their future success
- Push the boundaries of design, proudly contributing to and building Honey’s brand aesthetic and culture
- Lead execution and direction of Honey brand projects and content efforts as guided by the Creative Director
- Embody Honey’s core values and commitments to be an anti-racist company in the development of work and interactions with team, clients, and the broader community
- 5+ years of design experience in a studio environment (branding, packaging, web design, + strategic campaigns)
- 2+ years experience leading and managing a creative team
- Expert in design tools: Adobe Creative Suite – Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, After Effects, Lightroom, Sketch/Figma, Marvel, Pantone Connect, Google Suite
- Experience managing partners/collaborators (photo, video, design, development) and print vendors
- Interest and some knowledge of Honey’s niche industries of food, beverage, agriculture, and cannabis
- Experience leading projects from start to finish, while also successfully guiding others through the process
- Expert understanding of design principles (Color theory, typography, etc)
- Ability to successfully communicate complex design decisions to the team and clients
- Excellent written communication as well as presentation skills
- Strong sense of self-awareness and drive to take initiative to figure things out
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask
- Ability to work under pressure, individually and as part of a team
- Positive, passionate, creative, curious, and down-to-earth spirit
- Professional career growth-forward mindset
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Continuing education opportunities
- Working in an inclusive environment with a seriously awesome team
- Paid vacations and holidays
- $77,000 – $90,000 *based on experience
- We base our competitive salaries on being headquartered in Sacramento, California
Honey is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that welcomes applicants and employees of all genders, races, backgrounds, orientations, and nationalities.
Send us a thoughtful email by February 9th sharing why you are a great fit for this position along with your resumé and portfolio to [email protected] using the subject line Art Director Position 2024.